What are Shipping Notifications?
After placing an order, customers generally receive a shipping notification. While sometimes overlooked, this simple communication can help keep customers informed about the status of their shipments. These notifications serve as a crucial link between the brand and the consumer, providing peace of mind and transparency throughout the shipping process.
One standard shipping tracking notification is usually sent immediately after the order is placed and lets the customer know the order has been received and provides the customer with a unique tracking number. At Malomo, we call this 'order placed' or 'order confirmation' notifications. Customers can use this tracking number to access real-time information about their shipment’s whereabouts and expected delivery date. With shipping tracking, customers can conveniently select “track package” on their post-purchase email and get up-to-date information about the shipment’s progress on their order tracking page.
Another form of shipping notification goes beyond the initial tracking number and provides more detailed information about the package's movement- we call these 'in-transit' notifications. From departure scans at origin to arrival scans at sorting facilities, these shipping tracking notifications keep customers informed about their package’s movement through various checkpoints. These updates help manage expectations and ensure customers are aware of any delays or exigent delivery expectations.
As the shipment nears its final destination, customers may also receive more specific tracking notifications. These notifications include updates like “out for delivery” and “delivered” alerts, providing real-time information about the package’s last mile of the journey. This level of detail allows customers to plan accordingly for package receipt and ensures that they are available to receive orders promptly. It also helps to protect against packages being stolen off the customer's doorstep by 'porch-pirates' because customers know when packages arrive.
In addition to these standard tracking notifications, some brands also offer premium shipping services with enhanced tracking features, such as notifications around delays, pick-ups, and return to sender. Customers may also have the option to receive notifications via SMS or email at more frequent intervals, providing a higher level of visibility into the package’s journey. Premium tracking services like this are especially useful for time-sensitive orders or customers who prefer constant updates on their shipment’s progress.
Ultimately, shipping notifications play a huge part in enhancing the overall customer experience and building trust between retailers, shippers, and consumers. Whether it’s the initial standard tracking notification, the 'in-transit' shipping tracking updates, or real-time tracking notifications during the final stages of delivery, each type serves to keep customers informed and engaged throughout the entire journey.
When brands provide these timely updates, they can ensure greater levels of customer satisfaction and cultivate brand loyalty, contributing to the success and longevity of their business.
Shipping Confirmation Email
Shipping notifications via email can also enhance the overall customer experience and ensure smoother order fulfillment. To achieve effective communication, several best practices should be followed to make the most of shipping emails, whether it’s a confirmation message, shipping email update, or delivery notification:
- Clear, Concise Content – Ensure that the content of shipping emails is straightforward, easy to understand, and free of any unnecessary information or jargon. Include essential details such as order number, shipping address, tracking number, and estimated delivery date prominently in the body of the email.
- Personalization – Use the customer’s name in the greeting to add a personal touch to the email. Many email marketing platforms allow for easy customization to address customers by name. With Malomo, brands can deeply personalize shipping notifications based on customer profile, such first time vs. repeat purchaser.
- Branding and Design – Incorporate your brand’s logo, colors, and design elements in the email template to further reinforce brand recognition. Well-branded shipping emails can also add an air of professionalism to your email communications.
- Order or Shipping Confirmation Email – This email is sent immediately after the order is placed, confirming that the purchase has been received and the order is being processed. It should contain the basic order details, shipping address, and any relevant shipping notes.
- In-Transit Shipping Notification Email – This email is dispatched when the package departs the fulfillment center and includes the USPS tracking, FedEx tracking, or any other carrier’s tracking number. It lets the customer know the order is on its way, and the email should also provide a direct link or instructions on how to track the package throughout its journey.
- Out for Delivery and Delivery Notification Email – Sent when the package is out for delivery and/or has been successfully delivered. This notification serves as a final confirmation and may include a personalized thank-you message.
- Timely Delivery – Timing is important. Send shipping notifications promptly to keep customers informed. Delayed or erroneous shipping emails can cause anxiety and customer dissatisfaction.
- Order Tracking Options – Allow customers to choose their preferred method of tracking updates, such as receiving updates via email, SMS, or both.
- Order Summary, Receipt – Include an order summary and receipt in the shipping confirmation email to make it easy for customers to review their purchase(s).
And in case you were wondering, this is what a delivery notification email sample might look like:
“Dear [Customer’s Name], We are pleased to inform you that your order (#6789) has been successfully delivered to [Shipping Address]. Thank you for choosing [Your Brand]. If you have questions or need assistance, please reach out to our support team! Best regards, [Your Brand]”
As simple as that, your business can optimize shipping emails, strengthen customer relationships, and ensure a more seamless shopping experience. Well-executed shipping notifications via email can leave a positive impression on customers, foster greater brand loyalty, and encourage repeat purchases.
Best practices for post-purchase SMS notifications are vital for delivering a seamless and efficient customer experience. These text messages are a major component that keeps customers informed and further establishes your brand image and customer loyalty.
One of the primary use cases for post-purchase SMS notifications is the order confirmation SMS or order confirmation text. Similarly to email notifications, this message is sent immediately following a customer’s purchase, providing them with a concise summary of their order details, including the order number and a list of purchased items. The order confirmation text reassures customers that their order was received successfully and is being processed.
Another essential use case for shipping SMS is tracking notifications. These messages are sent as the package progresses throughout the various stages of shipment. They typically include UPS tracking, or any other carrier’s tracking number, allowing customers to select “track package” and view its location online in real-time. Tracking notifications keep customers in the loop about their shipment’s status and provide greater transparency.
Shopify shipping notifications also fall under the category of post-purchase SMS. These automated messages are triggered once an order has been fulfilled and dispatched. They generally contain a shipping estimate, tracking information, and a link to track the package’s whereabouts. Shopify notifications and other similar updates ensure that customers are well-informed throughout the fulfillment and delivery process.
To maximize the effectiveness of post-purchase SMS, businesses should adhere to certain best practices. These include:
- Straightforward Messaging – Keep the text messages brief and to the point, focusing on delivering essential information like order details, shipping updates, and delivery times and dates.
- Personalization – Use the customer’s name in the SMS to personalize the interaction and create a sense of connectedness with your brand.
- On-Time Delivery – Send SMS notifications promptly to ensure customers receive updates in real-time as their order progresses.
- Permission-Based – Ensure customers have explicitly opted-in to receive SMS notifications in order to respect their preferences and privacy.
- Two-Way Communication – Allow customers to respond to SMS notifications, empowering them to seek assistance or provide valuable feedback with relative ease.
- Customer Support Information – Include contact information or links to customer support in case customers have additional questions or concerns about the status of their order.
Post-purchase SMS notifications are a substantial part of shaping the customer experience, from order confirmation to tracking updates and delivery notifications text messages. By implementing best practices and leveraging the power of SMS, businesses can enhance customer satisfaction levels, build more trust and greater brand loyalty, and ultimately cultivate repeat business and positive word-of-mouth referrals.
Shipping Mangement SoftwareShipping management software plays a crucial role in streamlining shipping processes and improving the overall shipping experience for both businesses and their customers. This specialized software, also known as eCommerce shipping software, automates various aspects of shipping operations, making it much easier for organizations to manage and track shipments efficiently.
Order tracking software or shipment tracking software allows businesses to generate and provide customers with up-to-date information about their package’s status. With order tracking software, customers can receive shipping notifications via email, SMS, or other communication channels, keeping them informed about the latest expected delivery dates and any other pertinent information.
By automating shipping notifications across different channels, shipping management software ensures that customers are promptly notified of any updates or status changes related to their order(s). This drastically enhances the shipping experience by providing complete transparency and reducing customer inquiries about their shipments.
Furthermore, shipping management software can easily integrate with various carriers’ systems, including UPS, FedEx, USPS, and others. This integration further optimizes the process of generating shipping labels, printing shipping documents, and arranging for package pickups. As a result, businesses save time and reduce the risk of manual errors throughout shipping operations.
Shipping management software is a powerful tool that helps by automating and streamlining shipping processes, providing businesses with greater control over shipments, and improving the shipping experience for customers. With order tracking software and integration with various carriers, businesses can improve their shipping initiatives and maintain a competitive edge in the increasingly competitive eCommerce landscape.
Want to keep learning? Check out these related resources...
- 6 Shipping Notification Best Practices to Reduce Costs and Increase Sales
- Delivery Notification Email Sample
- Shipping Notification Email
- Shipping Update Email
- Malomo x Shopify Integration
- Malomo x Klaviyo Integration
- Malomo x Attentive Integration
- Malomo x Postscript Integration
- Shipping Notification
- Sample Email of Delivery Notice
- Shipping Update Email
- Shipping Confirmation Email
- How SMS shipping updates improve the customer experience
- Sample Email of Delivery Notice
- Eight Creative Ideas to Beef Up Your Transactional Emails
- How To Communicate Delivery Delays To Customers
- Order Confirmation Email
- Shopify Order Confirmation Email
- 9 Best Practices for Ecommerce Order Confirmation Emails
- 6 Revenue-Generating Order Status Emails You May be Missing
- Order Email Template
- Order Confirmation Email To Customer
- Klaviyo Emails
- Create Order Confirmation Email Klaviyo
- Klaviyo Shipping Confirmation
- Klaviyo Shipping Emails
- Take your SMS strategy up a notch with Klaviyo & Malomo