Order tracking is the process of monitoring the progress of an online order or shipment from the moment it is placed to the moment it arrives at the customer's door. It is an essential service for e-commerce businesses, as it allows customers to stay up-to-date on the status of their orders and provides peace of mind knowing that their products are on the way.
There are a number of different ways to track orders in e-commerce. The most common method is to provide customers with a tracking number. This number can be used to track the order on the carrier's website or through a third-party tracking app. Some e-commerce platforms also offer order tracking features that allow customers to see the status of their order directly on the website.
In addition to providing tracking numbers, e-commerce businesses can also send customers regular updates on the status of their orders. This can be done through email, SMS, or push notifications. By keeping customers informed of the progress of their orders, businesses can help to reduce anxiety and improve customer satisfaction.
Here are some of the benefits of order tracking for e-commerce businesses:
- Increased customer satisfaction: Order tracking can help to increase customer satisfaction by providing peace of mind and reducing anxiety. When customers know where their order is and when they can expect it to arrive, they are more likely to be satisfied with the shopping experience.
- Reduced customer inquiries: Order tracking can help to reduce customer inquiries by providing customers with the information they need to track their orders on their own. This can free up customer service representatives to focus on other tasks, such as resolving more complex issues.
- Improved fraud prevention: Order tracking can help to improve fraud prevention by providing businesses with a record of the shipping and delivery process. This information can be used to identify fraudulent orders and prevent them from being shipped.
- Enhanced marketing opportunities: Order tracking data can be used to create targeted marketing campaigns. For example, businesses can send emails at various stages of the delivery process and follow up at the appropriate time with review requests or remarketing.
There are a number of different order tracking apps and services available to e-commerce businesses. Some of the most popular options include:
- Parcel Tracking: Parcel Tracking is a free app that allows customers to track packages from multiple carriers, including USPS, FedEx, and DHL.
- Order Tracking App: an Order Tracking App is a paid app that offers a number of features, including real-time tracking, detailed tracking and carrier data, multiple carrier support (and the ability to track shipments internationally), and push notifications. Another term for this is “package tracking app.”
The best order tracking app or service for your business will depend on your specific needs and requirements. If you are looking for a free option with basic tracking features, Parcel Tracking from your carriers is a fine choice. If you need a more powerful app with advanced features to level up your post-purchase experience, an Order Tracking App or Package Tracking App is ideal.
No matter which order tracking app or service you choose, it is important to make sure that it is compatible with your e-commerce platform. This will ensure that you can easily integrate the app with your website and provide customers with a seamless tracking experience.
Here are some additional tips for using order tracking to improve your e-commerce business:
- Provide tracking numbers to all customers: This is the most basic form of order tracking and should be offered by all e-commerce businesses. Tracking an order is a necessity in today's world.
- Send regular updates on the status of orders: This will help to keep customers informed and reduce anxiety.Make it easy for customers to track their orders: deliver notifications by email and sms and offer order lookup on your site.
- Offer multiple carrier support: This will allow customers to track their orders regardless of which carrier is used.Provide detailed tracking information: This includes the date and time of shipment, the current location of the package, and the expected delivery date.
- Use order tracking data to improve your marketing campaigns: This data can be used to create targeted marketing campaigns that are more likely to be successful.
- Offer order lookup on your website: Make it easy for customers to find your order lookup widget so it's easy to track a package with their order number.
A tracking number is a unique identifier assigned to a package or parcel during the shipping process. It’s also referred to as the tracking ID. It allows the sender and recipient to track the package's progress as it moves through the shipping network. Order tracking numbers are typically 10-15 digits long and are made up of letters and numbers.
There are a number of different ways to track a package using a tracking number. The most common method is to go to the website of the shipping carrier and enter the tracking number in the search bar. The carrier's website will then display the current status of the package, including its location, estimated delivery date, and any other relevant information.
Another way to track a package is to use a third-party tracking app. By using a third-party order tracking app, ecommerce brands are able to brand the order tracking experience including the order tracking notifications as well as the tracking page. As a brand you’re able to regain 15% of your total website traffic by sending customers to a branded order tracking page where you can recommend other products, educate and create loyalty, instead of sending them to a bland carrier tracking page.
With branded order tracking, you can enable an order lookup widget on your website where customers can enter their information to get to their order status on an order tracking page.
How to track a package using a carrier’s website:
Find the tracking number. The tracking number is usually provided to you by the seller or shipping carrier when your package is shipped. It is a unique identifier that can be used to track the progress of your package as it moves through the shipping network.
Go to the shipping carrier's website. Once you have the tracking number, you can go to the website of the shipping carrier that is transporting your package. For example, if your package is being shipped by USPS, you would go to the USPS website.Enter the tracking number. On the shipping carrier's website, there will be a field where you can enter your tracking number. Once you have entered the tracking number, click on the "track" button.
Review the tracking information. The shipping carrier's website will display the tracking information for your package. This information will include the current status of your package, its location, and the estimated delivery date.
How to track a package using a an order tracking app like Malomo:
Visit one of your branded post-purchase emails and click on the link to “track my order” or “track package.”Or, look up your order confirmation number, find the order lookup widget on the website and enter your email address and order number.
Either of these methods will take you to the eCommerce site’s branded tracking page that will display the latest delivery status.
Shopify Order Tracking
Shopify order tracking apps are third-party apps that integrate with Shopify to provide customers with a more comprehensive and user-friendly order tracking experience. These apps typically offer features such as:
- Real-time tracking: Customers can track the progress of their orders in real time, as they move through the shipping network. Brands can view a dashboard of all of their shipments, including problematic orders so they know what’s happening at any time.
- Multiple carrier support: Customers can track orders from multiple different shipping carriers, all in one place. Brands can view carrier data from all of their carriers in one place.
- Push notifications: Customers can receive push notifications via email and SMS when there are updates to the tracking information for their orders. Brands can take back control of the branding during these important customer moments.
- Customizable order tracking pages: Merchants can customize the order tracking pages on their website to match their branding and style. They can promote other products for cross-sell and up-sell and offer referral opportunities, education, quizzes or games.
Branded Order Tracking
Branded order tracking is a process that provides customers with a personalized and cohesive tracking experience with post-purchase notifications via email and/or SMS. This can help businesses enhance customer satisfaction, build brand loyalty, and reduce support inquiries and wait times.
Branded tracking pages are dedicated web pages that allow customers to track the status of their orders on a page that reflects the brand's identity. These pages can incorporate the business's logo, colors, and overall design aesthetics, as well as product recommendations, product education, and other content that is relevant to the customer. This offers customers a consistent brand experience from the moment they make a purchase until their order is fulfilled and delivered.
Branded tracking pages can help businesses reinforce their brand image and create a sense of trust. Many customers appreciate the familiarity and recognition associated with the brand's visual identity, which can enhance their overall perception of the company. This not only contributes to greater customer satisfaction levels but also serves as a powerful marketing opportunity. For example, customers can be directed to other pages on the website or encouraged to make additional purchases.
In addition to branded tracking pages, post-purchase notifications via email and/or SMS are instrumental in providing customers with timely updates and relevant information about the status of their orders. These notifications serve as proactive communication tools that help keep customers informed throughout the order fulfillment process. They also serve as evidence that customers' purchases are important to the organization.
Post-purchase email notifications are a great way to provide order confirmations, shipping confirmations, and other delivery notifications. These transactional emails can be customized to include company branding like the business's logo, colors, and tailored messaging in order to maintain brand consistency. Email notifications not only inform customers about the progress of their orders, but they can also offer opportunities for upselling, cross-selling, or sharing personalized promotions to drive repeat business.
Post purchase SMS notifications, on the other hand, provide instant and concise updates directly to a customer's mobile device. These types of messages can be especially effective in conveying critical information like shipping updates and expected delivery windows. SMS notifications can also include short, branded links that direct customers to the branded tracking pages for more detailed tracking information.
Both email and SMS post-purchase notifications play crucial roles in reducing customer support inquiries by addressing potential WISMO, WISMR and WISME concerns from the onset. By proactively communicating with customers and providing all the information they need, businesses can minimize the need for customers to reach out regarding order status updates.
Furthermore, these notifications serve as touch points for customer engagement and retention. By maintaining regular communication with customers throughout the order fulfillment journey, businesses can foster more positive relationships and demonstrate their commitment to providing exceptional customer service. This can yield greater customer loyalty and encourage repeat purchases.
Want to keep learning? Check out these related resources...
- Order Tracking Apps
- Order tracking pages that inspire
- Design a winning tracking experience in 5 steps
- 7 tracking page ideas to drive engagement with customers
- See how industry-leading brands use Malomo to transform order tracking
- How To Use Order Tracking To Boost Ecommerce Sales
- Malomo Order Tracking for Shopify and Shopify Plus
- How Malomo helps your favorite brands keep in touch